Spherical Plain Bearings
Spherical plain bearings are manufactured in a wide variety of materials and are designed to offer bearing solutions in almost any operating environment. AST Bearings offers a complete line of spherical bearings available in inch and metric. These High-Quality Spherical Plain Bearings are suitable for heavy-duty, off-highway vehicles, agricultural equipment, construction and mining and logging equipment, packaging and textile equipment, and robotics. The plain bearings come in standard industrial bore sizes from 0.5" to 12" inches, as well as metric sizes from as small as 4 to 300 mm. Custom sizes can also be ordered.
Spherical Plain Bearings Characteristics
Spherical Plain Bearings (also known as “Spherical Plane Bearings” "Spherical Ball Bushing Bearings" and “Ball Bushings”) have an inner ring with a sphere convex outside surface and an outer ring with a correspondingly sphere, but concave inside surface. Their design makes them particularly suitable for bearing arrangements where alignment movements between shaft and housing have to accommodate, or where oscillating or recurrent tilting movements must be permitted at relatively slow sliding speeds.
AST’s spherical plain bearings are divided into two main categories based upon the need and ability for lubrication. Click on any of the two below to read more about them:
- Maintenance-Free Spherical Plain Bearings
- Spherical Plain Bearings Requiring Maintenance/Lubrication
Spherical Plain Bearings Product Line
AST is a premier spherical plain bearings supplier and supplies nearly 1,000 different spherical plain bearings products. If you already know which type of spherical plain bearing is right for your application, you can quickly navigate to it below for more information:
- Angular Contact - Steel, PTFE Fabric, PTFE Plastic
- Formed Outer Race - Steel-on-Steel and Steel-on-PTFE composite
- Stainless Steel-on-PTFE Fabric Material
- Steel-on-Copper Alloy
- Steel-on-Steel - Double Direction Thrust
- Steel-on-Steel - Double Fracture
- Steel-on-Steel - Extended Inner
- Steel-on-Steel - High Misalignment
- Steel-on-PTFE - Composite Material
- Steel-on-PTFE - Fabric Material
- Steel-on-PTFE - Plastic Material
- Thrust Loading - Steel, PTFE Fabric, PTFE Plastic: Metric
If you need help in selecting the best products for your particular application, please remember that design engineering and application assistance are available from AST as part of our value-added services designed to make your job easier.
Other Types of Spherical Bearings
There are other types of "spherical bearings" including rod ends, spherical ball bearings and spherical roller bearings. To learn more about the various kinds of spherical bearings, please visit "Spherical Bearings – Accommodating Misalignment" which explains the similarities and differences between the various types.
Spherical Plain Bearing White Papers and Articles
There are a number of technical papers on this website found in our Resource Center about spherical plain bearings. Some of them are listed below:
- Spherical Plain Bearings - General Overview
- Spherical Plain Bearings - Life and Load Ratings
- Spherical Plain Bearings - Internal Clearance
- Spherical Plain Bearings - Fitting and Mounting
- Spherical Plain Bearings - Lubrication
- Spherical Plain Bearings - Tolerances
- Spherical Plain Bearings - Nomenclature (part numbering system)
Spherical Plain Bearings Online Catalog
AST Bearings' comprehensive spherical plain bearings catalog contains detailed specifications and 3D CAD models for 995 different spherical plain bearings in 14 categories. Click here to go to our online catalog and product specifier for our full line of Spherical Plain Bearings including free 3D CAD model downloads. As a leading spherical plain bearings supplier, AST will provide you "value beyond the part."