At AST Bearings, we have recently added a second Clean Room to our New Jersey facility. This upgrade has allowed for a major increase in capabilities, including custom cleaning, relubrication, testing and final inspection of commercial, precision miniature and instrument bearings.
These Class 7 Clean Rooms are certified to ISO 14644-1, with cleaning and lubrication performed to documented procedures based on the requirements of Mil-B-81793.
AST’s New Jersey facility is one of the largest bearing lubrication facilities in the country. Our lubrication specialists work with hundreds of different lubricants, including those that are mil-spec qualified. We are also able to formulate custom lubricants to meet the needs of unusual applications.
Workstations with ISO Class 5 laminar flow work benches are utilized in AST’s clean rooms to ensure against particle contamination. They are manned by a team of experienced technicians, trained and certified in clean room procedures, bearing handling and lubrication techniques.
To speak with an AST expert and learn how more about our lubrication services, click here.
For a number of AST whitepapers and further information on lubrication, click here.
See below for a full rundown on our Clean Room capabilities.
- A proprietary solvent based cleaning system is utilized. A chlorinated solvent is used.
- The cleaning method leaves no residues. (While we have conducted NVR testing in the past, customers must be aware of their particular requirements and conduct their own testing accordingly.)
- The system is programmable and automated ensuring consistent results. Ultrasonic energy is utilized in the final step of the cleaning process.
- Cleaning solutions are filtered to 0.45 microns and are monitored for contamination.
- Lubrication is performed at ISO Class 5 laminar flow work benches within the Class 7 environment.
- Precision grease and oil applicators are used.
- Grease lubricants are filtered to remove particulate contamination.
- Standard filtering for grease removes particulate contamination larger than 75 microns.
- Ultra filtering for grease removes particulate contamination larger than 35 microns.
- Oils are filtered thru 0.45 micron membrane.
- A lubricant control system is maintained with traceability to manufacturing lot no. and date of manufacture. Lubricants are subject to shelf life requirements.
- Precision cleaned and lubricated bearing are packaged immediately after processing, or suitably protected in the controlled area.
- Interior packaging meeting the requirements of Mil-B-117G and Mil-P-197H is available.
- Precision scales with capability to 0.1 mg are employed to verify lube weight.
- Sampling inspection is employed to verify use of specified lube and lube amount.
- Contamination levels in cleaning solutions and lubricants are closely monitored.
- AST’s Quality Management System is registered and compliant to AS9100 Rev. C