Bearing grease consistency can greatly affect the performance of the bearing and consequently the performance of the mechanical device or product.
Most people are familiar with the term “viscosity” as the measurable consistency of oil lubricants. However, the average person probably does not know what the equivalent measurement for the consistency of grease (hint: it’s not viscosity). Bearing grease consistency is measured in “penetration levels.”
- Grease Penetration Definition
- How is Unworked Penetration Measured?
- How is Worked Penetration Measured?
- Comparing Worked and Unworked Penetration
- Channeling Grease Characteristics
- Grease Consistency Plays Role in Preventing Fretting Corrosion